Immigration Requirements by the United States Embassy and Consulate

After completing the admission and financial requirements for a student visa, an I-20 for an F-1 Visa or DS-2019 for the J-1 Visa will be mailed to you. The form will depend on the educational program for which you are applying, USAFIS has learned. 

Once you receive your form, ask for a student visa at your local U.S. Embassy or Consulate. The application process will include meeting for a short interview conducted in English, turning in the form DS-156 or I-60, and paying an application fee. This fee will be in addition to the SEVIS fee.

According to USAFIS, you will need a letter of admission from the educational institution, financial documentation, SEVIS I-20 or DS-2019 form, paid receipt for the SEVIS fee, and a passport when interviewing with a U.S. Consulate official.

Once the application is approved, the F1 or J1 Visa will be added to your passport. When entering the United States, the U.S government’s security procedures may require electronic fingerprinting and a photograph.